The history of the iconic bootcut jeans traces back to the ‘60s counterculture, alongside the bell bottoms. Most people confuse the two but they are not the same. Bootcut sports a straight cut that widens slightly at the knees towards the ankle. Meanwhile, bell bottoms are snug around the thighs, flaring from the knee to the leg opening, like the bell.
Now that you know the difference, let’s go through the features that make for the best mens bootcut jeans:
- Size: Relying on the size indicated on your old pants is not always helpful. If you have had those jeans for a while, chances are the fabrics have already stretched. Plus, not all brands are consistent with the standard sizing system. Whether you buy online or at a physical store, always make it a point to measure your inseam and waistline. In addition, you need to determine if you prefer low, mid, or high rise.
- Construction: It is easier to scrutinize the stitching and other features in person. For online shoppers, it can be a little tricky. My suggestion is to zoom in on the product photos to see if the seams are double or triple-stitched, and rivets that reinforce the trousers’ stress points. If your job involves a lot of moving, you can also go for a bootcut with a gusseted crotch to prevent tearing.
- Fabric: Heavyweight denim fabrics are more robust than lighter ones because the cotton strands are tightly woven, which makes them less prone to ripping. You can easily tell them apart by holding them. If you’re shopping online, check the product description for keywords like “light,” “medium,” or “heavy,” if the actual weight is not indicated.
When buying jeans that go with boots, we need to look beyond these three features. Read on to learn more about the pros and cons of each pair of trousers in the review section. For expert advice, go to the “Buying Guide” section, where I tackle budget, style, and other considerations.
Table of Contents
- The Most Favorite Mens Bootcut Jeans Reviews
- 1. Wrangler 77MWZBR Men’s Retro Slim Fit Boot Cut Jean
- 2. Levi’s 05527-0685 Men’s 527 Slim Bootcut Fit Jeans
- 3. Wrangler Authentics ZM4RBOB Fit Boot Cut Jean
- 4. Levi’s 00517-4891 Men’s 517 Bootcut Jean
- 5. Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. 91505-0070 Bootcut Jeans
- 6. Amazon Essentials AE1906300 Stretch Bootcut Jean
- 7. Lee 20151 Regular Fit Bootcut Jean
- 8. Silver Jeans Co. M33610RAS329 Fit Bootcut Jeans
- 9. Flypaper Men’s Bootcut Regular Fit Men’s Work Pants
- 10. Lucky Brand 7M11743 Men’s 367 Vintage Bootcut Jean
- What Is a Pair of Men’s Bootcut Jeans
- Type of Jeans to Wear With Boots
- Why Do You Need Men’s Bootcut Jeans
- Buying Guide
- Care and Maintenance
- Frequently Asked Questions
The Most Favorite Mens Bootcut Jeans Reviews
1. Wrangler 77MWZBR Men’s Retro Slim Fit Boot Cut Jean
Available in seven shades of blue, these slim bootcut jeans are one of the cowboys’ wardrobe staples since they go well with most boots or shirts. I like that the choices provide different finish types, but they generally give off that laid-back, retro vibe. Combined with spandex, the denim fabric flexes as I move but it comes especially handy when I need to climb my truck.
Aside from the fabric’s excellent stretchability, the trousers’ seat and thigh fit snugly without being skin-tight. Meanwhile, they widen a little from the knees down to the leg opening so that my cowboy boots do not bulge. Because they sit lower on the waist, they give my belly ample room to breathe when I sit. Even better, the pockets are sufficiently deep for personal items like smartphones, keys, and wallets.
- Sold in seven different washes
- Has a laidback retro look
- Gives a slim silhouette without feeling tight
- Fits over cowboy boots nicely
- Has spacious pockets for personal items
- Appropriate for summer weather
- Needs more belt loops
- The denim fabric is not heavy
2. Levi’s 05527-0685 Men’s 527 Slim Bootcut Fit Jeans
Made by the brand that invented denim pants, these Levi’s jeans for boots put a spotlight on your height with their slim fit. Although they appear narrow around the seat and thigh, I assure you that they are not figure-hugging. Since the knees and leg openings are a little wider, I still get ample room for my boots. Moreover, they look well with most of my sneakers and t-shirts, allowing me to wear them on and off duty.
Another strong point is the fact that this brand is known for its durable jeans. Wearing them for years saves me from the trouble of repairing and buying again. Since I’m always on my feet, I don’t have to worry about ripping them. Blending cotton and elastane makes the fabric more supple, which allows for better mobility. Judging by the fabric’s thickness, I think they are made for warmer climates.
- Designed with a slim fit
- Goes well with boots, sneakers, and t-shirts
- Very durable construction
- Suitable for warm weather
- Promotes good mobility
- Confusing color names
- The colors in the photos look slightly different in person
3. Wrangler Authentics ZM4RBOB Fit Boot Cut Jean
If you need more room for your muscular thighs and legs, then these men’s bootcut jeans might just be what you’re looking for. Built with a relaxed fit, they are also perfect for anyone who is always on the go. Even for intense physical labor at work, they enable me to move comfortably. Since they don’t appear baggy, I can wear them at work without looking juvenile and sloppy.
Made of cotton, polyester, and spandex, the fabric can stretch well, but they also feel comfortable on my skin. Hence, there was no need for me to break them in. Another advantage is that they can keep up with my fluctuating weight.
Meanwhile, the color options provide unique shades that can make any casual outfit look fashionable. Regardless of the trend, these bootcut pants will never go out of style. On the other hand, the trousers’ leg openings are wide enough to fit over my boots. Because most jeans are designed with shallow pockets, I’m relieved that these pants have storage that can fit my wallet and smartphone securely.
- Suitable for muscular bodies
- Supports ease of movement
- Keeps up with fluctuating weight
- Flaunts timeless design
- Has pockets that fit smartphones
- Made of thin denim fabric
4. Levi’s 00517-4891 Men’s 517 Bootcut Jean
Designed with a classic fit, these bootcut denim pants flare at the end. Yet, they look almost like a straight cut due to the slimmer seat and thigh. Considering the form and color options, I think the style is pretty versatile. The darker shades look good with smart casual, while the lighter ones can make any everyday wear hip and trendy.
Depending on your company’s dress code, you can even wear them at work. Knowing that the fabric and construction are durable, they hold up well for industrial jobs. In my case, they sit naturally at the waist so they will not reveal my underwear when I bend over. Thanks to the flared leg opening, they drape over my work boots seamlessly. Whereas other models only have five belt loops, I’m happy that this one has seven belt loops to hold a leather strap securely.
- Suits smart casual and everyday clothes
- Durable enough for industrial jobs
- Offered in dark and light washes
- Can hold a leather belt securely
- Sits naturally on the waist
- May feel tight at first
- The dark blue dye is prone to bleeding
5. Signature by Levi Strauss & Co. 91505-0070 Bootcut Jeans
Coming from Levi’s budget-friendly line of jeans, these pants let you enjoy the same quality at a lower price. In terms of form, the easy fit around the seat and thigh lets me sit without feeling any tightness. Coupled with the bootcut leg, the trousers render a silhouette that makes me look taller. Although they come in a few shades of blue, I particularly like the darker tone as it goes well with dress shirts.
Despite the lower cost, these pants are crafted with high-quality fabric made from a mix of cotton, polyester, and elastane. If you love the raw denim’s looks but hate its rigidity, then this one is right for you. More notably, they are extremely comfortable from the get-go. Without the break-in period, I did not have to put up with the discomfort of stiff denim. This one moves with me!
ver, I wish the manufacturer figured out a way to avoid the blue dye from bleeding. I’ve had several denim pants from other brands but I rarely had this problem with them. Well, it’s a small trade-off considering that it only happens when it’s still new.
- Designed with an easy-fit seat and thigh
- Comes in different washes
- Feels comfortable to move in
- Reinforced by rivets at the stress points
- Has well-made button and zipper
- The blue dye tends to bleed
6. Amazon Essentials AE1906300 Stretch Bootcut Jean
Bootcut trousers can easily look dated, but these denim pants from Amazon Essentials have a modern touch. Offered in different finishes and washes of black and blue, I can choose between plain and faded textures. As a wardrobe essential, the color options coordinate well with most of my outfits regardless of the season.
Combining cotton and spandex allows the fabric to flex, making them comfortable to move in. At the same time, it feels thick enough to be considered durable. I have worn these bootcut pants regularly for over a year, and much to my delight, they have not shown any sign of wearing down. Plus, the seams are well-constructed. As such, I highly recommend them for workers who need heavy-duty jeans.
- Offers different washes of black and blue
- Made of thick and durable fabric
- Can flex as you move
- Suitable for work and other activities
- Slim but not form-hugging
- Ideal for jobs that are rough on clothing
- Needs more loops to tuck a belt neatly
- Feels a little tight for cowboy boots
7. Lee 20151 Regular Fit Bootcut Jean
Not everyone is a fan of tough denim pants. If you are one of them, then let me introduce you to these bootcut trousers. Composed of cotton, polyester, rayon, and spandex, the fabric is softer on the skin and more flexible than the usual stretch jeans. So much so that I can bend over, squat, and climb ladders without any binding. Besides the durable seams, the pants also feature hidden gussets to prevent ripping around the crotch area.
Unlike the slim bootcut jeans men’s collection, this one has a nice regular fit that gives my legs and thighs some room to breathe. The legs flare very slightly, making the pants look straight cut at first. Still, they fall charmingly over my safety shoes, cowboy boots, and sneakers. My favorite part is the elastic waistband ensures the pants fit well whenever my weight fluctuates.
- Promotes a wide range of motion
- The fabric feels soft on the skin
- Reinforced with hidden gusset at the crotch area
- Roomy around the legs and thighs
- Fits over any type of boots
- Can get snagged by sharp objects
- Lacks thickness for cold weather
8. Silver Jeans Co. M33610RAS329 Fit Bootcut Jeans
Many people argue that these are the most suitable jeans to wear with boots and I could not agree more. Designed with an easy fit at the seat and thigh, the trousers widen from the knee downward, allowing the fabric to drape over any boots and shoes in different shapes and sizes. At the same time, this will also give room for muscular legs. Available in more than a dozen shades of blue, I also get to choose from a wide variety of whisker patterns and fading.
The pants form an attractive silhouette that can spice up my casual wear. As a proud owner of these jeans, I also like that they sit well on my waist with no awkward tight feeling when I bend over or take a seat. Moreover, the blend of cotton and elastane enables the fabric to stretch when I move or gain a few pounds. With durable seams and denim, I’m impressed that the trousers never lose their form.
- Easy fit through seat and thigh
- The wide legs accommodate any footwear
- Equipped with sturdy belt loops
- Available in over a dozen blue shades
- Durable construction and fabric
- More on the expensive side
- The pants run long
9. Flypaper Men’s Bootcut Regular Fit Men’s Work Pants
Many cowboy boot-cut jeans look more like bell bottoms due to the exaggerated leg and visibly narrow knee. If you want something that looks more like a straight cut, then you will find Flypaper’s design more suitable for you. The regular fit provides me roomy thigh and seat but the leg flares out minimally to accommodate my bulky boots. As such, they maintain a silhouette that will never look out of place in both rugged workplaces and fancy parties.
Furthermore, the selection of colors offers laidback and classy shades of blue. My top choice would be the dark wash as it looks dressy but the color also hides the dirt well, which works to my advantage whenever I spill a drink or sauce. I’m sure that workers who deal with mess will like that, too! With rivets in place, the pants can withstand the strains that come with rough movements.
- Regular fit with minimal flare
- Fits over hefty boots well
- Appropriate for work or special occasion
- Offers casual and classy shades
- Made of pure cotton fabric
- Feels comfy and breathable
- The size runs smaller than most jeans
10. Lucky Brand 7M11743 Men’s 367 Vintage Bootcut Jean
If you want to go all-out retro, you can do so in style with these bootcut trousers. On the front side, you will find fading and whisker patterns that give off that worn-out effect but with good-as-new quality. For me, the designs are so appealing. Even a plain white shirt can look dapper when paired with these pants and that goes for all four colors that this model offers.
Built with a mid-rise, the pants sit neither too low nor high on my waist while the classic fit creates some room for my thighs. Loose from the knees down to the leg opening, they are spacious enough for thick, wide boot shafts. But what makes them extra special for me is the soft denim fabric. With 2% spandex, these trousers stretch a little to promote ease of movement. Honestly, wearing them feels like I’m in my pajamas.
- Adds style to any attire
- Designed with a roomy fit
- Can hide wide, thick boot shafts
- Fashioned with soft and comfy fabric
- Promises long-lasting durability
- More expensive than most jeans
- The pants are too long
What Is a Pair of Men’s Bootcut Jeans
Constructed with a classic fit with a slightly flared leg, this type of pants defines the style in the ‘60s. However, the designs also serve a function: To provide the wearer with room for their ankle-high boots. As such, they are continued to be manufactured and worn by many individuals to this day, whether for work or play.
Type of Jeans to Wear With Boots
Pairing denim pants and boots can be tricky. You either tuck the fabric or let it drape over the footwear. However, this will also depend on your body type. In any case, here are the different types of jeans that you can wear with boots:
- Slim-fit jeans
- Classic-fit jeans
- Relaxed-fit jeans
- Bootcut jeans
Why Do You Need Men’s Bootcut Jeans
Whether you intend to buy bootcut trousers for their functionality or out of nostalgia, these jeans offer some benefits. As mentioned earlier, these trousers are best paired with ankle-high or cowboy boots. The leg area is a little wider so that it falls over the boot nicely. Furthermore, the form emphasizes your height. You can wear them with a fine-looking button-up long sleeve shirt.
Most of us take our blue jeans for granted. Besides, these pants are fashion staples that can go well with most shirts and shoes, so we wear them every day. As years go by, our bodies and style preferences change. Even if we bought several pairs of denim pants in the past, we would constantly find ourselves updating our wardrobes for various reasons. Whatever the case may be, let me share some tips on how to find the perfect boot-cut jeans for men.
Not to be confused with sizes, “fit” refers to the form of the pants regardless of their waistline. Bootcut trousers are designed with either a slim, regular, or relaxed fit. Even if you and your friend are both size 36, one of you may be more muscular than the other. Consequently, one of you would opt for a slim or regular fit, while the other would prefer a relaxed fit.
The regular fit, or “classic” fit as some brands call it, is sort of the baseline since the pants are neither tight nor loose. Meanwhile, the slim fit has snug thighs and seats. Conversely, the relaxed fit has roomier thighs and seats. In the context of boot-cuts, the knees flare out down to the leg opening regardless of the fit.
Denim fabrics are normally blue due to the indigo dye. Unlike other coloring agents, the indigo covers only the thread’s outer surface. The dye fades in every wash, taking bits of the threads with them, which explains why the fabric softens up over time.
Thanks to modern technology, manufacturers can create jeans in different washes and colors in the rainbow other than blue. Most fashionistas recommend dark slim fit bootcut jeans for smart casual, pairing them with dressy leather boots and button-up long sleeve shirts. Lighter and loose-fitting pants are great for a more laid-back look if you wear them with sneakers.
Unless it’s pre-shrunk, pure denim can stretch between 1 to 1.5 inches within three months if you wear the trousers daily. If you are digging the form-hugging bootcut jeans men’s style, then your best option is to get trousers with a blend of 2% spandex or Lycra. However, keep in mind that this kind of fabric also has its limit. It will not stretch the way leggings do. As a rule of thumb, order a size down if you are in-between sizes.
A hefty price tag can lead us to believe that the bootcut trousers we’re eyeing have superior quality. There is truth in this, knowing that triple stitching, copper or brass buttons, and rivets can add to the cost. Still, it’s not always the case. In the review, you will find some affordable brands that manufacture high-quality jeans for boots men’s fashion and workwear.
What you need to watch out for are the counterfeit denim pants. The difference between fake and authentic items can only be spotted if you look closely at the seams and fabric. Loose threads, wrong spellings on the labels, and poorly-sewn buttons are the common red flags. When in doubt, be sure to buy only from the brand’s shop or its authorized distributors.
Care and Maintenance
Fashion experts say that we can wear our favorite jeans 10 times before we can wash them. Of course, that depends on whether the dirt is starting to show up or not but darker denim fabrics can hide them well.
When it’s time to do the laundry, make sure to turn your jeans inside out before throwing them into the washing machine. This will ensure that sweat and body oils are washed away while preserving the blue dye.
On your washing machine, select a gentle or delicate wash with cold water and add a small amount of detergent. Lastly, let your pants air dry instead of using the dryer.
If your freshly-washed jeans got stained, spot-clean them instead of tossing them back into the washing machine. Using an old toothbrush, gently scrub a bit of detergent to clean up the stain.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the most trusted men’s bootcut jeans brands?
Among the bootcut pants that I’ve tried, I find that the best ones come from brands like Wrangler, Levi’s, Amazon Essentials, Lee, Silver Jeans Co., Flypaper, and Lucky Brand. Of course, you can also try other brands recommended by different fashion magazines, blogs, and forums like Reddit.
What is the difference between straight-cut and bootcut jeans?
At first sight, it can be hard to spot the difference between a straight cut and a bootcut. Upon closer inspection, you will notice that both have the same form around the seat and thigh. However, the bootcut slightly widens from the knee down to the leg opening, while the straight cut retains the same width throughout.
What body type should I wear bootcut jeans?
According to professional stylists, bootcut pants are great for men with “trapezoid” body types. That’s because form emphasizes athletic build and slim waists. Considering the trousers’ shape, they will also accentuate taller men’s height.
Where to buy men’s bootcut jeans?
Bootcut denim pants have never truly left the fashion scene, so it’s easy to find them in most fashion retail stores and e-commerce websites. You can also visit the websites of known denim brands to find this type of jeans in different colors and washes.
Browsing through several online catalogs of bootcut pants and trying them out in boutique shops can be overwhelming, given the plethora of options. After all, not all of us are fashion experts. At the end of the day, we just want to wear something that makes us feel confident and comfortable.
Whether you intend to buy jeans for work or an everyday outfit, it is not impossible to find one that suits you well. You can always refer to the ten best mens bootcut jeans I reviewed above or reread the Buying Guide to help you narrow down your options.
Veronica is our content editor. She is a talent in delivery. Her main work is editing and writing articles that are both informative and simple to follow. She is in charge of synthesizing our understanding of what personal protection equipment (PPE) is needed in each job, how to best apply it, and how to visualize that equipment.